Monday, January 21, 2013

Calling it quits for the day!

I have been busy this morning!  It is so much easier to cook and bake with kids who are able to entertain themselves!

While the kids played Uno and Skip Bo I heated up the kitchen...

I used that Ortega Tortilla Soup packet and made according to directions...Pretty much it was just flavored liquid.. and that just will not do.. So into the pot of flavor I added 1 cup of frozen corn, 1/2 a can of seasoned black beans and a can of chunk chicken breast.  Much better!  The flavor is really nice!  I heated a portion of that for my lunch and poured it over a handful of crushed tortilla chips and a Colby cheese stick I chopped down.  YUM!

I cooked a bag of frozen broccoli in homemade chicken stock.  I added a handful of chopped carrots and when nice and steamed I pureed half in the vita mix.  I ended up using the rest of the heavy cream in that soup( no Alfredo tonight) and shredded in some sharp cheddar and Colby cheeses. That is tasty also!

Since I have half a can of black beans that I will need to eat now.. I decided to go ahead and cook up some rice.. I used just 1/2 cup dry rice to 1 cup water.. That will be fine for a simple beans and rice wrap or bowl.. or in some soup.

Then I realized I had a brick of cream cheese mom left here and was close to expiration.. since I already have 2 of my own bricks I have not used I needed to figure out something quick!  I searched allrecipes.com and managed to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and used the cream cheese and the last roll of crescent rolls... I halved this and Maddie helped me mix and spread it all in!  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sopapilla-cheesecake-pie/detail.aspx

So all the dishes have been done, kids have been lunched, hubby is packed and ready to hit the airport.. and I have all my lunches and dinners ready for the rest of the week! YIPPIE!

For my 3 friends who are reading this.. check out this blog  http://goodcheapeats.com/  I was encouraged to kick start the year with the pantry eat down after I saw that they were doing it also!

No comments: