Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sunday Again...

The start to a new week just comes way too fast.  The end of last week was a bit crazed and chaotic with the hubby traveling home and getting delayed on Thursday... thankfully he got his final delay just before 5pm and they put him up in a hotel.  If you have to get a major delay at least let it be earlier and in your favor.. So we were told he would be home by dinner Friday.  Great!  I pulled a roast out to thaw while I worked in the morning.. Ran an errand after work and then made it home alive and unscathed- roads were HORRID with the first major snow of the season... I ran in the house, heated a pan and seared off my roast, seasoned, added broth and water, lidded it and tossed into the oven before I layered up and went out to shovel 3+ inches off the driveway... I had the meat on slightly lower then usual since I figured we would have a later dinner.. I tossed carrots in and attended to the kids when they finally arrived home, about 20min later due to bus delays....

OF COURSE, I get that text of delays.. then they are boarding!  Then they are delayed for deicing.. Then longer delay.. I figured we were not having dinner with daddy.. I checked on my roast and it seemed a little tough still. GREAT!  I pulled the carrots out since they were done and tossed that dish into the fridge.  I turned off the oven and told kids to get dressed.. they were getting haircuts!  Just then hubby texted me to order pizza for dinner.. Fine by me!  I ordered pizza when the haircuts were finishing and we drove to get our order.. (Hubby was going to expense dinner so I chose the pizza shop I love that is slightly pricier then I care for).. Awesomely enough hubby
s cousin, who works at said pizza shop, was at the counter and gave us a killer discount so that made it all better! 

Hubby made it home and was there to hype the kids up, give them lots of his *gifts*.. shampoo, soap, lotion and flavored teas he pilfers for me!  lol

Saturday kids had basketball and we picked up more groceries/stockpile at ALDI...I had put the cold roast on low in the crock when we left at 1130a, so when we got home it was PERFECTLY tender!  I poured the hot broth into a sauce pan with the carrots to rewarm them and then make gravy.  Dinner was rounded out with some egg noddles,the leftover corn in the fridge and some Sourdough rolls I bought from the freezer section earlier in the week(sale/coupon deal). 

Sunday, Oh Lazy, Sunday.  Kids were in charge of themselves for breakfast so they decided on yogurt and pop tarts.. Lunch was leftover pizza from Friday night, carrots, cucumbers, hummus and pretzels. 

Snacks today were cookies (defrosted from the freezer), pumpkin muffins( defrosted from the freezer) and fruit smoothies... Maddie liked these, the boy were less impressed.  I used frozen blueberries and peaches, a few chunks of frozen banana and coconut milk.. I used too much coconut milk and it tasted a bit watered down...

Dinner was some Italian marinated chicken, frozen peas, baked sweet potatoes and green salad.  Since today is National Chocolate Cake Day.. I whipped up a half recipe of Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake... I skipped the icing and just sifted some powdered sugar on top...

Since it is Sunday night it is time to re-assess the contents of the fridge and counters.. I do not like to make lunches the night before, I have issues with sandwiches that sit for too long, so I just make sure I don't have to go looking for stuff at 630am!  Do i have enough juice boxes or do I need to full the Rubbermaid containers? Make sure there is bread, chips/pretzels, fruit/veggies for packing.  Are the reusable containers clean?  Just having these things in order make Monday that much easier.. It goes without saying that I also make sure there are K-Cups on the spinner, water in the machine and sweetener in the dish for my wake up call! 

No comments: